Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I am really so old...

This weekend we decided it'd be big fun to do something with Katelyn that we don't normally do...just a fun, random outing that would not require too much walking, too much heat, or too much energy (thinking of those of us who are currently waddling of course!) We ended up at Stone Mountain Park, despite our hesitation for joining the enormous Labor Day crowds. The train, after all, would be a great hit - we knew that for sure.

First, I have to go back and say that Kevin and I both worked at the Park for what seems like decades. I started working there when I was 14, and couldn't give up the addiction until I was about 23. Selling glow-in-the-dark stuff was just about the best job around. Being able to clear $100 or more on a good night at the time before I was even able to drive was of course the motivating factor, but the friends that came back every year made it the most fun. I have the best memories of playing, I mean, working there. It was that kind of job that every year we would sit around and joke about who was really coming back next year, knowing deep down that we'd all be back again for sure. Kevin also started his law enforcement career out there and put in at least 9 years until just about a year ago, when he decided that working only a few events a year was really not working...it was more about fun on a motorcycle and catching up with old friends. We both have great memories out there, even though we didn't even know each other during most of this time. (He is, after all, 7 1/2 years older than me, so we have quite an age gap!) Also, I will add that it just wasn't cool for the glow girls to be lookin' at the Police rangers! :) (I laugh outloud at myself while I type that, because it was oh so true!)

Back to Labor Day weekend...we ended up at our favorite spot, riding the train and taking our daughter to see the "Big rock" & the ever popular laser show. It was one of those moments that when I looked around at all of the other families, I suddenly felt quite old. I used to look at those people in a different way, you know, like ready to take their money and hand them junk not worth 5% of what they were paying me for it. Now I am in the crowd with them, feeling like an old mom, just like one of the park guests that actually visits this place for fun. My favorite moment, though, (which makes feeling old not even matter) was when we were sitting on the train with Katelyn in between us. She had one little hand on Kevin's leg, and the other hand on mine. She looked up and said, "Mama, are you READY?!" and I said "Yes, are you!?" She yells out "I'M READY!!!" with the most enthusiasm a little girl could ever have. Then, once we started moving, I said "Katelyn, do you love it?" and without hesitation she replied, "Mama, I LOVE IT!" It really was the cutest thing ever. The hands on each leg was just precious...it was if she was needing to hold on, but not really too much, just resting her hands on our legs while she eagerly awaits the trip. Such a sweetheart.

Contrary to our expectations, the crowds ended up not being bad at all. We were surprised at how easy it was to join the crowd (as if we were really one of them!), and we didn't wait in line for anything. Kevin's police experience out there landed us the best parking space ever, so we didn't have to walk much at all. The night wouldn't have been complete without truly getting into the Stn. Mtn. spirit and sending Kevin to purchase a glow necklace for Katelyn. It was knowing that the necklace only costs .13 cents, and handing him $3 dollars, that made me literally roll my eyes at myself. But what was priceless was seeing my girl's expression when she came running back to me with it, showing it off like I had never in my life seen one before. We acted like it was the coolest thing we'd ever seen, and to her, it was. I'll feel old anytime to see that again.

Here are a couple pictures we took, you know, in the spirit of being tourists & all...
































3 comments:

Jenny said...

What a sweet story! That is so precious! Every time I see glowy jewelry I remember you telling stories about glow necklaces at that BSU DNOW group that we were in. That was the best DNOW ever. I'm Blue . . . . .

Jessica said...

I don't come on your blog often, but LOVED this post as I was also a former "glow girl" with you Ansley!

I was actually there with my sister on Labor Day. We weren't there long. I also went to the Yellow Daisy Festival today- early to avoid all the traffic coming in.(I will put those pics on myspace and facebook when I get a chance).

I also have good memories of working there! It really was a great job for us at that age.

So your hubby worked there too! How about that!

Wade & Brittany said...

Ah, the memories of the park! And to think we probably worked there at the same time, but didn't meet until college!

Glad that you guys had a great trip down memory lane and helped Katelyn create some Laser Show memories of her own! :)