Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Baby on the way...No waaaay!

Today we are scheduled for Addison's arrival at 2:30 pm by c-section! Never did I think it would feel so planned out even though I really knew it would be. There's none of this rushing into the labor and delivery unit with contractions minutes apart, wondering if today is the day. We have it scheduled, you know, as if I'm having surgery to have my appendix removed! Top that off with the fact that 3 of my friends are also having babies on this same day, and it suddenly feels more and more surreal to me. How often do you really know someone else that is delivering on the same day you are, much less 3? How odd. Anyway, when Katelyn woke up today, we told her "Guess what?! Baby Addison is coming today!" Her response: "No Waaaay!" We have been telling her to expect this for quite a while, and in a toddler's mind, a day is the same as a year, so I'm sure at this point she has no faith in us whatsoever. We then said, "Well don't you want to meet her?" She replied with a quick "Nope!" and ran down the hall. Nice. I'm sure they will be close friends forever, you know, that sister-kind-of-love that can't be explained. Can't wait to see how this turns out. :)

My sweet husband is currently cooking eggs and bacon for breakfast...smelling up the house with a wonderful aroma that makes me actually want to strangle him, since I can't eat one bit of food until after surgery. (Really though, I am thankful that he is such a great Dad and is taking care of Katelyn so I can walk around the house being nervous and packing unnecessary items for the hospital!) I had my last snack before midnight last night, (which he also made for me) but now I'm technically in starvation mode. Let me just mention that I don't do mornings, and I definitely don't do mornings without coffee or some type of food in my stomach. I am a different person before and after I eat, no matter what time of day...and that is nothing but the truth. What a tragic thing to do to a pregnant woman. Schedule her surgery at 2:30 in the afternoon and then starve her the entire day before. Kevin got a great roll of my eyes yesterday when the nurse told him in pre-op, "You know, you really need to eat tomorrow...we don't want you to feel sick while watching the surgery." I was thinking, "Oh yes, that's nice...please, by all means, let's make sure he's okay and meanwhile I'll be starving and begging for crumbs (or even a sip of water) while you cut my body open...not a problem at all." I think Moms all around the world should receive more than one Mother's Day a year, you know, just for what we go through to bring people into this world. It should at least be monthly or better yet, weekly...don't you think!?

I'm sure Kev will post pictures as soon as the chaos settles down...thanks for your prayers today! More to come!

2 comments:

Erin & Gary said...

Good luck today! I'll be praying! :)

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday to Addison! That is something that 3 of your friends are also having their babies today!!